Juice Cleanse - Everything You Need to Know
If you know me -- then you know that I LOVE juicing! Juicing is a great way for me to receive all those essential fruits + veggies that I need throughout the day while running after my eight month old. I enjoy an occasional juice cleanse because it allows me to cleanse my body from all the unhealthy foods I consume. This past week I tried something new + drank Suja Juice -- and let me just tell you, it was incredible.
What is a Juice Cleanse?
A juice cleanse is a detox that can last from one day - several weeks, where you only drink fruit and vegetable juices in order to obtain the nutrition you would have eating food. Juice cleanses are a way to improve mood, appearance, and overall health. There are many ways to juice cleanse; you can juice them at home, buy them at a store, or have them shipped to your home!
Suja Fresh Start Juice Plan
Suja Juice sells tasty cold-pressed, organic, and non-GMO juices, along with new probiotic waters and drinking vinegars. Suja has created two different Fresh Start Juice Plans -- the Original + the Core. The Original Fresh Start cleanse is made for active first timers looking to maintain a healthy lifestyle. The Core Fresh Start is made for the experienced juicer looking to limit their sugar intake. Both cleanses are available in 1, 3, or 5 day packages with six drinks per day. This week, I tried the 5 day Original Fresh Start cleanse.
Every Suja Juice cleanse includes six juices per day. The Original Fresh Start includes:
Glow: green apple, cucumber, celery, collards, spinach, kale, + spearmint
Fuel: carrot, apple, pineapple, orange, lemon, + turmeric
Purify: carrot, apple, celery, cucumber, lemon, + beet
Twelve Essentials: celery, cucumber, collard greens, lemon, kale, green chard, parsley, ginger, romaine lettuce, green leaf lettuce, mint tea, + spinach.
Green Supreme: kale, green apple, + lemon
Blue Dream: apple, almond milk, blueberry, chia seed, lucuma, cinnamon, + vanilla bean.
How do they taste?
I genuinely loved most of Suja's juices. Unlike home made juices, they are flavourful, sweet, and fruity. Plus -- anything I don't have to make myself ALWAYS tastes better! It was so wonderful; being able to grab a bottle of juice out of the refrigerator whenever I was hungry instead of having to make my juice from scratch made juicing a more enjoyable experience.
Listed below are the 6 daily Suja Juices I had daily:
1. The first drink of the day was "Glow" -- the sweetest of the green juices with apple + mint flavours, and in my opinion, it is the best one! I enjoyed drinking Glow for breakfast because it was the best tasting and was a great kick-starter for the day.
2. For a mid-morning snack, normally while at the gym, I enjoyed drinking "Fuel" -- a carrot + orange based juice with a pinch of turmeric! This juice was one of my favorites because it tasted wonderful and kept me energized for the duration of my workout.
3. I then drank "Purify" for lunch every day -- this juice has a strong beet and carrot flavour which definitely took me off guard during my first taste! This juice comes off as very earthy and I enjoyed the strong vegetable flavours after the two fruity juices before.
4. The mid-afternoon juice is called "Twelve Essentials" -- it includes STRONG flavours of collard greens, kale, + green chard. Here comes the honesty - although this juice made me feel so healthy (they don't call it Twelve Essentials for nothing!), it was hard for me to drink because I don't enjoy the strong flavours the juice includes.
5. Next up was "Green Supreme" -- it was a great juice to chase down the twelve essentials because it tastes like apple juice! This sweet and fruity juice included three ingredients: apple, kale, and lemon, and was great to drink during dinnertime.
6. For dessert, which Suja recommends drinking 2-3 hours before bedtime, I drank "Bluedream" -- a thick almond milk drink with flavours of blueberry and cinnamon. SO GOOD.
The Question Everyone Keeps Asking
The main question that people were asking me on Instagram this past week was, "How are you feeling? You must be SOOO HUNGRY!" Honestly -- I felt AMAZING... 95% of the time. The majority of the time I was happy, energetic, and didn't feel hungry! In fact, most days I couldn't even finish the juice because the serving sizes are so large. Overall, I felt very healthy; I didn't have any headaches, I slept better, and I had less anxiety. The hardest part of the cleanse, for me personally, was not eating anything warm for five days -- and it definitely didn't help that I was still cooking for the rest of my family. This is going to sound silly -- but to solve my lack of warm food problem, I started to warm up the almond milk dessert juice in the microwave. It tasted like a latte! (I reccomend you do the same)
How much are they?
Suja Juices cost around $8 US each (16 oz). Although that may seem pricey, there is an average two pounds of fruits + vegetables in every bottle! For people who have juiced in the past, it is easy to understand what may come across as a seemingly high price for a bottle of juice. The combination of providing larger than average serving sizes and only use organic cold pressed fruit leads to a pricier and higher quality product. What is the point of going on a cleanse that doesn't serve its intended purpose? (Answer: There is none) So, as someone who juices regularly, I can understand why these organic juices, with their HUGE serving sizes, come in around that price. After factoring in the price of organic fruits + vegetables, along with the work of making juice and time spent away from family, one could say that making it on your own would be around the same price.
Suja Juices are also available in packages (instead of 8$ each):
1 Day Fresh Start - $44, 6-pack
3 Day Fresh Start - $148, 18-pack
5 Day Fresh Start - $240, 30-pack
I teamed up with Suja Juice to give you 20% off your next order with discount code : BEINGSUMMER20. SCORE!
Let me know if you end up trying it out! (I would love to know your thoughts/comments)
I have been sponsored by Suja Juice for this post; however, I am sharing my own thoughts. All opinions are my own.